While at Marquette University Law School, Kelli Thompson said she didn't envision herself practicing law. She wasn't sure what she wanted to do, but knew a law degree would lead to other paths.
Wisconsin public defenders are on pace to receive pay parity with state prosecutors. The state Senate on Tuesday passed an amended version of Senate Bill 468 to provide a pay-progression plan for assistant state public defenders.
Attorneys who take public-defender cases in rural Wisconsin could receive as much as $20,000 a year in student-loan repayments under a proposed bill.
A group of defendants from northern Wisconsin is suing over what they're calling a lack of adequate staff and funding in the state Public Defender's Office, arguing the rights of indigent defendants in Wisconsin to competent attorneys and speedy trials have been violated.
The state’s criminal defense bar is calling out a Milwaukee trial court judge for his behavior at a hearing last week.
A Milwaukee County Circuit Court judge on Friday had a defense attorney handcuffed and chained during a hearing on Friday for contempt of court.
The Wisconsin Supreme Court won’t increase pay for court-appointed attorneys until January 2020.
The Wisconsin Supreme Court’s final public hearing of the term will look at something that has long been a matter of concern: the low rate of compensation private attorneys receive when they are appointed to defend indigent criminal defendants.
A budget-writing committee has given its endorsement to providing raises to the state’s judges, prosecutors and public defenders.
Amanda Riek enjoys rooting for the underdog.
Budget requests likely to include increases for judicial salaries, private rate for public-defender appointments
Among the proposals likely to be up for inclusion in the state's next budget are pay increases for judges, government lawyers and private attorneys who serve as public defender.
- The most prevalent forms of cyber crime (CHART)
- Money laundering complaint filed against Justice Protasiewicz by convicted felon, election denier, alleged stalker
- Gov. Evers continues to seek applicants for Barron County Circuit Court
- GOP, Garland clash at hearing
- Bipartisan group of Wisconsin lawmakers propose ranked-choice voting and top-five primaries
- Wisconsin Ethics Commission staff leakers face 9 months prison, $10,000 fine
- Republican legislators fail to respond to child care crisis survey
- Russian International Money Launderer arrested over military grade microelectronics
- Gov. Evers Appoints Jorge Fragoso to the Milwaukee County Circuit Court
- Wisconsin Legislature set to reject governor’s special session on child care, worker shortages
- Wisconsin Republican leader blocks pay raises in continuation of DEI fight
- Wisconsin redistricting fight focuses on the recusal of a key justice as impeachment threat lingers
- Evers appoints McElroy as Price County district attorney
- Evers appoints Ann Peacock to Dane County Circuit Court
- Michael Best appoints Sarah Alt to new role as chief process and AI officer
- Attorney Peter Baziano joins Murphy Desmond in its Business and Real Estate practice groups
- GRGB partner Karnes honored at Run for Justice
- DeWitt’s Miotke reappointed to SPD’s Board
- Hupy and Abraham wins award for ‘Behind the Handlebars’ video series
- Evers appoints trio to Milwaukee County Circuit Court
- Kubiak joins Amundsen Davis’ Business Litigation Service Group
- GRGB partners Jason Luczak, Nicole Masnica honored with Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers award
- Teuta Jonuzi, Joshua Hargrove promoted to equity partners at Tracey Wood & Associates
- Reinhart’s Taggatz joins International Association of Defense Counsel