Former Gov. Tommy Thompson's daughter says low pay, long hours, heavy caseloads and burnout had nothing to do with her resignation.
While at Marquette University Law School, Kelli Thompson said she didn't envision herself practicing law. She wasn't sure what she wanted to do, but knew a law degree would lead to other paths.
Gov. Tony Evers has signed a bill to restore raises for Wisconsin state public defenders.
James Brennan has been elected as chair of the Wisconsin Public Defender Board.
A bill to restore raises for state public defenders is moving forward in the Wisconsin Assembly.
Attorneys who take public-defender cases in rural Wisconsin could receive as much as $20,000 a year in student-loan repayments under a proposed bill.
The Wisconsin Public Defenders Office revealed at a hearing on Thursday that it's struggling to find candidates for public defender positions.
A discrepancy in pay for prosecutors and public defenders is threatening to tip the scales of justice in Wisconsin.
The state’s powerful budget writing committee voted on Tuesday afternoon to increase pay for prosecutors and public defenders as well as increase compensation for private attorneys appointed to represent indigent criminal defendants.
The Wisconsin State Public Defender’s Office is again asking the state Legislature and Gov. Scott Walker to increase the pay rate for private bar attorneys appointed to take cases for the agency.
Fifty years ago today, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black delivered the unanimous, nine-page majority opinion in Gideon v. Wainwright.
Who’s Doing What: Daniels, wife named 2012 Parents of the Year; Thompson elected chair of State Bar BOG
John Daniels Jr., of Quarles & Brady LLP, Milwaukee, and his wife, Irma, were named 2012 Parents of the Year by COA Youth and Family Centers.
- Solo vs. big law: Does size really matter?
- Wisconsin Court System’s director of public information officer retires abruptly
- New lawsuit launched over secret Vos impeachment investigation
- Federal judge rules for students with disabilities in age-cutoff case
- Wisconsin DNR board appointees tell Republican lawmakers they don’t support wolf population limit
- The most prevalent forms of cyber crime (CHART)
- Money laundering complaint filed against Justice Protasiewicz by convicted felon, election denier, alleged stalker
- Gov. Evers continues to seek applicants for Barron County Circuit Court
- GOP, Garland clash at hearing
- Bipartisan group of Wisconsin lawmakers propose ranked-choice voting and top-five primaries
- Wisconsin Ethics Commission staff leakers face 9 months prison, $10,000 fine
- Republican legislators fail to respond to child care crisis survey
- Evers appoints McElroy as Price County district attorney
- Evers appoints Ann Peacock to Dane County Circuit Court
- Michael Best appoints Sarah Alt to new role as chief process and AI officer
- Attorney Peter Baziano joins Murphy Desmond in its Business and Real Estate practice groups
- GRGB partner Karnes honored at Run for Justice
- DeWitt’s Miotke reappointed to SPD’s Board
- Hupy and Abraham wins award for ‘Behind the Handlebars’ video series
- Evers appoints trio to Milwaukee County Circuit Court
- Kubiak joins Amundsen Davis’ Business Litigation Service Group
- GRGB partners Jason Luczak, Nicole Masnica honored with Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers award
- Teuta Jonuzi, Joshua Hargrove promoted to equity partners at Tracey Wood & Associates
- Reinhart’s Taggatz joins International Association of Defense Counsel