Now that President Joe Biden signed Democrats' expansive climate, tax and health care bill into law, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen has directed the IRS to develop a plan within six months outlining how the tax agency will overhaul its technology, customer service and hiring processes.
Family business owners who worked frantically to offload company shares to the next generation of owners in the months leading up to the New Year can breathe easier now that Congress passed a law to avert anticipated tax rate increases and tax-exempt gift limits. But CPAs and attorneys warn the work isn’t over quite yet.
The Wisconsin Supreme Court refused Thursday to allow the federal government to appeal an order barring the Internal Revenue Service from pursuing claims against a special account the state created to protect a struggling insurance company's policyholders.
Earlier this month, the Wisconsin Supreme Court heard oral arguments to decide whether attorneys with the U.S. Department of Justice can appear in Wisconsin state courts without being members of the bar or being admitted pro hac vice.
MILWAUKEE (AP) — Two Milwaukee women have pleaded guilty in an income tax scheme. U.S. Attorney James Santelle for the Eastern District of Wisconsin announced the pleas Tuesday. Santelle said 34-year-old Roshunda Smith and 46-year-old Linda Fay Townsend pleaded guilty to conspiring to file fraudulent claims for federal income tax refunds. Prosecutors say from February […]
After pressing Congress for years to change a tax policy that limits the ability of lawyers in contingency-fee cases to deduct litigation costs as business expenses, trial attorneys appear to be giving up the fight.
MILWAUKEE (AP) – A Milwaukee area neurosurgeon is facing additional federal charges that accuse him of conspiring to defraud the Internal Revenue Service. A new indictment was returned Wednesday in Milwaukee alleging Dr. Arvind Ahuja, of Greendale, conspired with bankers to conceal foreign bank accounts from the IRS. The indictment alleges Anhuja told bankers he […]
The U.S. Secretary of Labor has signed memoranda of understanding with the Internal Revenue Service as well as with the labor departments of several states in an effort to improve its efforts to end the practice of purposeful employee misclassifications.
After months of speculation and anticipation on the part of estate planning attorneys and tax practitioners, the Internal Revenue Service has issued a Notice and Revenue Procedure for 2010 estates seeking to exempt out of the estate tax.
MILWAUKEE (AP) — A federal grand jury has indicted a Greendale man on eight counts of tax fraud. The indictment handed down Tuesday accuses Arvind Ahuja of filing false tax returns and failing to report $8.7 million held in foreign accounts. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, Ahuja failed to report the bank accounts […]
The Internal Revenue Service recently issued guidance on a provision of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act that requires employers to report the cost of health coverage on employees’ W-2 forms. The requirement is informational only and does not affect an employee’s income determination or whether any particular coverage is excludable from gross income. […]
- Corn mill owners plead to federal charges in fatal explosion, will pay $11.25 million
- From bananas to baby socks, lawyers stick to routines before arguments
- Colleges should step up their diversity efforts after affirmative action ruling, the government says
- Wisconsin Supreme Court won’t hear longshot case trying to head off impeachment
- Havana Syndrome hits CIA, Congress in Wisconsin, Russia takes credit
- Wisconsin woman gets life without parole for killing and dismembering ex-boyfriend
- Judge rules Donald Trump defrauded banks, insurers as he built real estate empire
- Wisconsin sues Amazon for illegally maintaining monopoly power
- Wisconsin state Senate’s chief clerk, former Legislative Council attorney, resigns following undisclosed allegation
- Watchdog files open meetings lawsuit against secret panel studying Wisconsin justice’s impeachment
- McCarthy allies press GOP holdouts
- States expand Medicaid dental coverage
- Evers appoints McElroy as Price County district attorney
- Evers appoints Ann Peacock to Dane County Circuit Court
- Michael Best appoints Sarah Alt to new role as chief process and AI officer
- Attorney Peter Baziano joins Murphy Desmond in its Business and Real Estate practice groups
- GRGB partner Karnes honored at Run for Justice
- DeWitt’s Miotke reappointed to SPD’s Board
- Hupy and Abraham wins award for ‘Behind the Handlebars’ video series
- Evers appoints trio to Milwaukee County Circuit Court
- Kubiak joins Amundsen Davis’ Business Litigation Service Group
- GRGB partners Jason Luczak, Nicole Masnica honored with Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers award
- Teuta Jonuzi, Joshua Hargrove promoted to equity partners at Tracey Wood & Associates
- Reinhart’s Taggatz joins International Association of Defense Counsel