Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Judge says park fence in Milwaukee to stay down for now

By: Associated Press//September 8, 2016//

Judge says park fence in Milwaukee to stay down for now

By: Associated Press//September 8, 2016//

Listen to this article

MILWAUKEE (AP) — A judge says a plastic fence will stay down at a Milwaukee park that’s at the center of a neighborhood where violence erupted after a police shooting last month.

Judge David Hansher kept his order in place Wednesday barring Sheriff David Clarke from reinstalling the Sherman Park fence after Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele ordered it taken down.

But the Journal Sentinel reports the judge did not address who had the authority to keep or remove the fence.

Abele ordered the bright orange fencing surrounding the park removed Sunday. Clarke had his deputies put it back the same day. But in keeping with the judge’s order, crews removed the fencing again Monday.

Violence erupted for two nights after a Milwaukee police officer fatally shot Sylville Smith two blocks from the park on Aug. 13.

 

Polls

What kind of stories do you want to read more of?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Legal News

See All Legal News

Case Digests

Sea all WLJ People

Opinion Digests