Quantcast
Home / Legal News / Slender Man attorney: Girl can’t face trial in adult court (UPDATE)

Slender Man attorney: Girl can’t face trial in adult court (UPDATE)

Defense attorney Anthony Cotton, left, speaks with Waukesha Asst. District Attorney Ted Szczupakiewicz after a hearing at the county court in Waukesha, Wis. on Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014 during the trial for two 12-year-old girls accused of stabbing another girl in May 2014. The two girls told detectives the attack was an attempt to please Slenderman, a fictional character they found on a horror website.

Defense attorney Anthony Cotton (left) speaks with Waukesha Assistant District Attorney Ted Szczupakiewicz after a hearing in Waukesha on Dec. 18 during the trial for two then-12-year-old girls accused of stabbing another girl in May 2014.

By TODD RICHMOND
Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — An attorney for one of two girls accused of stabbing their classmate to please the horror character Slender Man tried to persuade a judge Tuesday that she should not be tried in adult court.

Defense lawyer Anthony Cotton filed a brief with Waukesha County Circuit Judge Michael Bohren contending prosecutors improperly charged the girl with attempted first-degree intentional homicide, which automatically placed her in adult court.

The girl should have been charged with second-degree attempted intentional homicide because she believed Slender Man would hurt her and her family if she didn’t kill someone for him.

If Bohren decides the girl should not stand trial as an adult, he would have to dismiss the first-degree count. Prosecutors could then choose to bring the second-degree charge against her as a juvenile. Cotton wants the case moved because the juvenile system is geared toward rehabilitation rather than punishment.

Cotton raised the same arguments during a preliminary hearing last week for both girls. Bohren said he wanted to see written arguments before making a decision, which is expected on March 13.

Assistant District Attorney Ted Szczupakiewicz didn’t immediately return a voicemail Tuesday seeking comment on Cotton’s brief. He has until March 4 to respond in writing.

Prosecutors allege the two girls lured their friend into the woods on May 31 and stabbed her 19 times. All three girls were 12 at the time.

The Associated Press isn’t naming either girl because their cases may end up in juvenile court, where proceedings are secret.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*