AWARDS & HONORS
Andrew DeClercq of Boardman & Clark LLP received the Individual Attorney Pro Bono Award at the Dane County Bar Association’s annual Pro Bono Breakfast on May 1. He was honored for his pro bono work representing three Wisconsin inmates with serious mental and physical health problems.
Other awards presented included:
- Boardman & Clark LLP received an award for the firm wide support of pro bono work;
- Law student Liz Bradley was the recipient of the Law Student Award for her work with the UW Law School Pro Bono Program;
- Attorney Lori Lubinsky of Axley Brynleson LLP received a Special Service Award for her many years of coordinating the Wisconsin High School Mock Trial competition in Dane County.
Godfrey & Kahn SC announced its Fellowship in Law Recipients: Kathryn Allen of the University of Wisconsin and Vanessa Richmond of Marquette University.
The Fellowship in Law program was established as part of the firm’s ongoing diversity initiative and is designed to continue to promote diversity within the student body of the law schools. The program provides a full, three-year scholarship to one student at the University of Wisconsin Law School and one student at Marquette University Law School. In addition to tuition, recipients also are offered mentoring from Godfrey & Kahn attorneys, as well as a position as a summer associate at the firm after their first year of law school. The selection of fellowship recipients is mutually determined by Godfrey & Kahn and the participating universities.
Allen is the 10th recipient of the Fellowship in Law at the University of Wisconsin Law School. She received her bachelor’s in political theory and constitutional democracy from Michigan State University.
Richmond is the eighth recipient of the Fellowship in Law at Marquette University Law School. She received her bachelor’s in broadcast journalism from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Marquette University Law School won the Law School Admission Council’s Fifth Annual Diversity Matters Award for exceptional programming. The award is designed to recognize law school programming that encourages racially and ethnically diverse students to consider law as a career.
The awards were announced at LSAC’s Annual Meeting and Educational Conference in Asheville, N.C., on May 31.
Rebecca Mitich of Whyte Hirschboeck Dudek SC, Milwaukee, received the Aspire (Emerging Leader) Award from Wisconsin Commercial Real Estate Women. The award recognizes a woman in the commercial real estate industry, who in five years or fewer, through her work, accomplishments and charitable involvement, has demonstrated that she will be one of the industry’s leaders in years to come. Mitich is an attorney in the firm’s Milwaukee office where she is a member of the commercial real estate, commercial finance and condominium and HOA law teams. She earned her law degree from Marquette University Law School.
The Milwaukee Bar Association announced its 2014 award winners on June 10:
– Lifetime Achievement Award: Janine Geske, Marquette University Law School.
– Distinguished Service Award: Limited Scope Representation Subcommittee of the Planning and Policy Advisory Committee of the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
– E. Michael McCann Distinguished Public Service Award: Hon. Charles Clevert, U.S. District Court of the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
• Stephen Knowles joined Davis & Kuelthau SC’s labor and employment team as a senior attorney in its Milwaukee office. Knowles’ practice focuses on private sector employment law. He earned his law degree from the University of Wisconsin Law School.
• Sean McNulty joined Goldstein Law Group SC, Milwaukee, as an associate. He earned his law degree in 2014 from the University of Wisconsin Law School.
ON THE RISE
The Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association recently elected and re-elected board members: Jason Luczak of Gimbel, Reilly, Guerin & Brown LLP, president; Dan Blinka of Godfrey & Kahn, SC, president-elect; Bryant Ferguson of Reinhart Boerner Van Deuren SC, treasurer; Eric Lowenberg of Penegor & Lowenberg, secretary; and Brian Romans of Krawczyk, Duginski & Rohr SC, past president.
General directors: Steve DeVougas, Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP; Nate Fronk, von Briesen & Roper SC; Kate Gehl, Foley & Lardner LLP; Eamon Guerin, Guerin Law Office; Jon Hackbarth, Quarles & Brady LLP; Laurna Jozwiak, Fox, O’Neill & Shannon SC; Joe LaDien, Davis & Kuelthau SC; Kaivon Yazdani, Nistler & Condon SC; Alexis Lundgren, Michael Best & Friedrich LLP; and Krista LaFave Rosolino, clerk to Judge Kevin Martens, Milwaukee County Circuit Court.
The Milwaukee Bar Association administered the oath of office to the following new officers and board members June 10: David Peterson, Reinhart Boerner Van Deuren SC, president; Marcia Drame, Northwestern Mutual, president elect; Andrew Wronski, Foley & Lardner LLP, vice president; and Maria Kreiter, Godfrey & Kahn SC, Hon. Maxine Aldridge White, Milwaukee County Circuit Court, directors.