Nicholas Boerke and Rachel Farrington have joined Michael Best & Friedrich LLP, Milwaukee.
Boerke joined the Transactional Practice Group and earned his law degree in 2012 from Marquette University Law School.
Farrington joined the Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Group and earned her law degree in 2008 from The John Marshall Law School.
• Alyssa Dowse joined Quarles & Brady LLP, Milwaukee, as an associate in the Labor & Employment Practice Group. Her practice includes assisting administrators and fiduciaries of employee benefits plans in complying with the standards of ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code, and related regulations. She earned her law degree from Marquette University Law School.
• Laura McCabe, Dan Peters and Amy Wesner joined Ruder Ware LLSC, Wausau.
McCabe advises clients on a wide variety of business transactional matters, including the organization of business entities, sale and acquisition transactions, and related matters. She earned law degree from the University of Wisconsin Law School
Peters is a trial lawyer who has litigated cases throughout the state of Wisconsin, including trials, arbitrations, and mediations. He has represented business, insurers, and individuals in a variety of disputes and matters involving construction projects, business disputes, insurance disputes, duty to defend issues, insurance coverage disputes, bad faith, premises liability, products liability, property damage, fire loss and wrongful death. He earned his law degree from the University of Tulsa – College of Law.
Wesner advises individuals and businesses on a variety of tax issues and is also involved in resolving tax controversy matters at federal, state and local levels. She earned her law degree the University of Wisconsin Law School, and her LL.M. in Taxation from the New York University School of Law.
ON THE RISE
David Carr, of Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan LLP, Milwaukee, was promoted to partner. He joined the firm as an associate upon earning his law degree at Marquette University Law School in 2006.
• Christopher Hughes, of Stafford Rosenbaum LLP, was elected chair of the firm’s board of directors and managing partner of the law firm. Hughes has represented businesses, municipalities and individuals relating to real estate, business, land use, municipal, and contractual matters. He earned his law degree from the Indiana University School of Law in 1993. He joined Stafford Rosenbaum in Madison in 1997 and became a partner in the firm in 2006.
• Hupy & Abraham SC, Milwaukee, opened three new law offices in Iowa. The law firm, which currently has eight offices across Wisconsin and Illinois, is opening three new branches in Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Quad Cities.
AWARDS & HONORS
Godfrey & Kahn SC, Milwaukee, was named a 2013 M&A Advisor Turnaround Award winner in the Restructuring Community Impact category. The firm was also nominated in the category of Industrial Goods and Basic Resources.
The 7th Annual Turnaround Awards Gala honored the leading deal-teams, firms and deal-makers whose activities set the standard for turnaround, reorganization and restructuring transactions on March 6 in Palm Beach, Fla. This year, 120 nominees, representing more than 300 companies, were finalists for the awards. An independent judging committee of 12 M&A, Restructuring and Finance industry experts determined the recipients of the awards, which were revealed at the gala.
• Michael and Suzanne Hupy hosted the Motion Picture Association of America’s Oscar Night at the Hilton Hotel in Milwaukee on Feb. 24. For 15 years the Association has selected COA Youth & Family Centers to host the only event it authorizes in Wisconsin. Only 46 nonprofit organizations throughout the United States have been sanctioned by the Association to host these events.
Attendees receive the same Oscar night program received by the nominees in Hollywood. Attendees at the Milwaukee event were able to see the Oscars on large screens ,including an appearance by William Shatner, who is the spokesman for Hupy and Abraham SC in Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa.
COA was started in 1906 and for the last 15 years has hosted the Oscar Night Gala. The 2013 event was a sellout with 400 people attending. It raised more than $158,000.
• Tomislav Kuzmanovic, a partner in the Defense Litigation Practice of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Milwaukee, received the Croatian American Bar Association’s 2012 Vinodol Code Award. The award, which recognizes persons of Croatian descent who have excelled in the practice of law and/or made an outstanding contribution to the law or legal scholarship, was given to Kuzmanovic in recognition of his distinguished legal career and outstanding contributions to the Croatian-American community. He earned his law degree from the University of Wisconsin Law School in 1988.
• Howard Schoenfeld of DeWitt Ross & Stevens SC was named as one of the top 100 trial lawyers in Wisconsin by The National Trial Lawyers. This is his fifth year of inclusion on the list.
A University of Wisconsin Law School graduate, Schoenfeld’s litigation experience includes civil rights, complex business and construction litigation, as well as personal injury and professional liability litigation. Membership in the association is by invitation only and is extended only to those attorneys who exemplify superior qualifications, trial results, leadership, influence, and reputation in the community of trial lawyers as viewed by members of the bench, members of The National Trial Lawyers, the public, and other trial lawyers.
• The Wisconsin Association of Legal Administrators announced the election of the following individuals to its Board of Directors for the 2013-2014 term: Stephanie Dantinne of Davis & Kuelthau SC, Green Bay, president; Tracey Reams of Melli Law SC, Madison, past president; Lisa Fox of Cullen Weston Pines & Bach LLP, Madison, president-elect; Michelle Andler of Stafford Rosenbaum LLP, Madison, president elect-elect; Sandy Schmitt of Galanis, Pollack, Jacobs & Johnson SC, Milwaukee, secretary; John Schellinger of Balisle & Roberson SC, Madison, treasurer; Sue Thome-John of von Briesen & Roper SC, Milwaukee, vice president of business partner relations; Michelle Andler of Stafford Rosenbaum LLP, Madison, vice president of education; Phyllis Evans-Carr of Michael Best & Friedrich LLP, Milwaukee, vice president of special projects; Laurie Dey-Canales of Halling & Cayo SC, Milwaukee, vice president of membership; and Jennifer Tarantino of Peterson, Johnson & Murray SC, Milwaukee, vice president of communications.